Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I Had The Time of My Life

Just when you figured out a Botox allowance in your budget and thought you could escape the ravages of time, BAM! an event sneaks in to remind you that you are almost as old as dirt and that no matter how many cool tech gadgets you own hoping to stay cool, the hands of time don’t go back. Nope, not even for you.

Case in point: This morning, I was shocked to learn this summer marks the 20th anniversary of the movie Dirty Dancing. 20 YEARS!!! Say it ain’t so? Where has the time gone? Seems like just yesterday I was putting on my Marithé & François Girbaud’s, penny loafers and retainer to then jumped in the metro to meet my girlfriends with whom I would make fun of Patrick Swayze with (Even then, I thought he was a has-been in the making). Truth be told, I l-o-v-e- Jennifer Grey. She was the ultimate average girl who just happened to be slightly slutty but loyal and defiant. And in a past life, she had been Ferris Bueller’s sister. Career wise, had Jennifer showed a little skin, she would have gotten an Oscar for her stellar performance though her subsequent nose job was simply stupid. Still the movie remains a reference I the pop cultural stratosphere and as I’ll spend the day numbed by the fact 20 years have gone by so fast, I brace myself for when I’ll realize that it’s actually been 25 years since the releases of Synchronicity and Purple Rain. Centrum, anyone?

No comments: