Monday, January 21, 2008

The Confessional | Andy Nulman


New Feature! Starting today, and every Monday, Pop Cultured interviews a mover & shaker with questions inspired by Marcel Proust, Bernard Pivot and James Lipton.

Andy Nulman, Montréal. One of my mentors, Co-Founder and former CEO of the Just For Laughs Comedy Festival. In 1999, he co-founded Airborne Entertainment which produces funky crazy cool content for wireless applications. That’s the preschooler description. My wired and tech savvy friends are all in awe of Airborne and have explained to me the company is a pillar in its field. Knowing Andy, I’m certain his guts and his vision are at the root of Airborne’s success. Nobody can toot his horn better than he: http://www.andynulman.com/.


  • How do you feel about being my first?
    The responsibility is overwhelming. Not only do I have to perform at a superior level, but you may make more of it than it really is, and call me all the time, and ask me to do it again, and again...

  • Tom Cruise … misunderstood prophet or future Prozac spokesperson?
    Oy. Poor Tom. He's obviously a wack, but he believes in this Scientology stuff and is passionate about it. Most people are apathetic about everything and believe in nothing. Leave him be. There are so many more important things to concern ourselves with than Tom, Katie, L. Ron et al...

  • What turns you off?
    Ignorant people who spew opinions about complex topics in a volume and intensity inversely relative to their knowledge of 'em. (This is why I am so quiet...)

  • What is your favourite curse word? Philistine. And money-lender.

  • What has pleasantly surprised you in the past two weeks?
    The intelligent and inquisitive reaction by a wonderfully diverse bunch of grade school kids at a speech I gave at my old elementary school, Gardenview.

  • What has to stop?
    Hatred. I hate all forms of it.

  • If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? You deserved it. We have a suite for you. And your mom's been waiting.

  • What is your favourite vice?
    Cool-Whip. Brunello red. Apricot bread. But not together.

  • You are in front of 90 000 screaming & adoring fans at Wembley Stadium. What song are you belting out?
    The entire "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance.

  • On a deserted island, what do you bring besides your Blackberry, your I-Pod & your Amex? An e-book (Sony's or Amazon's) filled with the multiple volumes I have not yet had time to digest.

  • What entity or person is most in need of a new PR campaign?
    Government. All levels. Everywhere.

  • You write a very witty blog (www.andynulman.com). Should journalists be flattered or annoyed by bloggers? These influxes of comments from peanut galleries are sometimes stepping on their territories.
    Journalists should be flattered. At least the Peanut Gallery now has a voice. You can't react to silence.
  • When will I see you next?
    You will see me when the cows come home.

No comments: