Monday, March 31, 2008

The Confessional | Ghislain Poirier


Ghislain Poirier, Montréal | As a famed DJ and Producer, Ghislain Poirier has made many of us bounce. He’s behind some of today’s funkiest remixes and his versatility and daring beats have made him a hot commodity on all continents. This Québec Ambassador of cool enters the Confessional. Bounce baby, bounce.

You are on a continuous World Tour. From where are you answering this Questionnaire? I’m currently at the Charles-De-Gaulle Airport in Paris, waiting for my flight to Tel Aviv where I will play for the first time.

There is a special place for DJs in the hearts of Montrealers. Where else in the world have you noticed such a venerated DJ Culture? London and, by extension the entire UK, is a stepping stone for DJs.

Boy George’s signature DJ accessories are his Louis Vuitton crates. What are yours? Nothing at all.

What are the last 5 cities you played? Boston (DJ set), Austin (DJ and live set), BARD College in New York State (DJ set), Berne (live set) and Geneva (live set).

You’ve been known to mix various styles of music. Which have been the most challenging? There are two particular styles that are difficult to integrate in my sets but I manage anyway! The first is grime which is very aggressive and abrasive. The other is soca which is not easy to integrate either because it’s very hyper plus I love the kind that is very fast pace. But if it’s played at the right time, it’s simply euphoric.

Looking at some of your press pictures, I’ve detected the inklings of a model in you (you know, with the piercing eyes, the height & the high cheekbones …). Name a brand you would definitely model for. None. I’m not into the world of Fashion.

Have the democratization of music through podcasts and other online tools influenced your career and if so, how? Definitely. The Internet and its tools (emails, blogs, myspace, p2p, torrents) are excellent ways to outplay the music Establishment that monopolize both the musical and visual space in the various media. New-media tools have allowed me to be heard in countries where I had yet to be distributed. It’s with pleasure that I give tracks and mixes. I find it primordial that music be circulated and heard.

You made a fierce remix of Yoav’s “Club Thing” single. His album “Charmed and Strange” is one of my faves in a long time. Name three of your favourite albums of 2007/2008. I haven’t been feeling albums lately because I find that too often; some of the songs are just “filling up” the album. So I have tracks that are currently favourites but my answer would be different tomorrow, next week:
- Mali « Métrizé Tchad Aw »
- Burro Banton « Badder Den Dem »
- Alison Hinds « Thundah »


It has been said that Quebecers have to succeed elsewhere before they are taken seriously at home. Have the media been more receptive to you since your Global success?
It’s a constant progression here as well as elsewhere. I would even say that Montréal has been very generous and has given me a lot. It’s always a pleasure, a privilege and important to play in my city.

What turns you off? Hospitals.

What has to stop? The hype (don’t believe).

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Oops, w
e’re sorry. There was a mistake in our files. You may return to Earth. »

You are in front of 90 000 screaming & adoring fans at Wembley Stadium. What song are you belting out? My own “Go Ballistic, featuring Zulu”. A party song with lyrics that matter.

On a deserted island, what do you bring besides your I-Phone and your Amex? No I-Phone and no Amex. To simply be with my girlfriend would be ideal.

What entity or person is in most need of a new PR campaign? The entire African continent. It needs better and larger visibility in the media. It’s an aberration that the Continent is so ignored.

When will I see you next? Probably in a bar in Montréal or in a gala!


Bounce baby, bounce: www.ghislainpoirier.com


No comments: