Monday, March 3, 2008

The Confessional | Sheila Gaillard



Sheila Gaillard, New York | A New York-based stylist to the Stars, she’s dressed many of the Glitterati including TV’s Dr. Ian and Rev Run’s daughters for their MTV reality-show. The first time our fashion-draped souls met was a year ago in SoHo, over drinks and talk of knee-high boots, leopard-skin patterned accessories and men in common. Now, this original Fly Girl really lets it all out.

Why are you answering this questionnaire? Shouldn’t you be rubbing shoulders with Puffy or e-mailing tips to Gawker.com? Anything for you, my dear.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate Carrie Bradshaw’s wardrobe? A 10, of course. I must have watched the entire series at least 5 times, and still, I manage to notice new details.

I think once she hits 30, every woman should have at least one Hermès carré de soie, a little black dress that will make her feel fearless and a pair of stilettos so fabulous she’ll keep them on during sex. What are 3 other staples every sassy, smart and successful thirty-something woman should own? A signature scent, a retirement plan and a pair of diamond anything that she purchased herself. By the way, I just picked up a pair of those stilettos at Stuart Weitzman. Killer!!!!

What is the one thing men can’t resist on a woman? Her smile. “Its presence beckons you”. At least that’s what they tell me…lol.

Many magazines have poisoned what Fashion is really about with glamorized anorexia, accepted bulimia and Photoshop. What do you think it’ll take Fashion Editors to understand the responsibility they owe their readers? Honestly, I don’t think it will ever end. Perhaps after Britney commits suicide or when Victoria Beckham decides that weighing over 125 lbs is the new black.


My defining Fashion moment was seeing Naomi Campbell on the cover of Taxi Magazine in 1990. What was yours? The day I realized that Patricia Field had range. From Sex And the City to the Devil Wears Prada to my favourite, the Fall/Winter ‘05/’06 DKNY Times spread, her talent is undeniable. As a teenager hanging and shopping in the West Village in the early 90’s, her store was infamous for her crazy and eclectic collection of clothing and the transvestite sales staff. I met Lil’ Kim and Lenny Kravitz in there. She is a heavyweight in the industry. That spread is still on my wall.


What turns you off? People who like to “word-smith” you to death and play Jedi mind tricks, the tactless.

What is your favourite curse word?
I try to stay away from using profanity. A crafty vocabulary is more powerful. Though “Zut Alors!” is so fun. I know it’s dated but it has stuck with me ever since I learned it in school.

What has pleasantly surprised you in the past two weeks? Two Things: My 10 month old niece, Chloe, smiling at the camera for the first time. She has looked like a deer caught in headlights or Paparazzi flashes in every picture that I have taken of her since she was born. My 3 year old nephew, Dylan complimenting a boutique owner on her outdoor rug. That was priceless.

What has to stop? Child Abuse, The Paparazzi (a camera angled up Jessica Alba’s dress is beyond repulsive), “First” black anything!!! It’s 2008.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Great Job.

You are in front of 90 000 screaming & adoring fans at Wembley Stadium. What song are you belting out? Addicted to Love” by Robert Palmer dressed in a Dolce & Gabbana black dress with stilettos, rouge on my lips and my hair pulled back.

On a deserted island, what do you bring besides your I-Phone & your Amex?

My husband, Carol’s Daughter Gelée de Soleil, matching bathing suit & pareo, latest Spring-Summer issue of Vogue Paris Collections, a batch of home made seasoning.

What entity or person is most in need of a new PR campaign?
Haiti. There is a coffee table book called “Poolside with Slim Aarons” that depicts images of the jetsetters, the beautiful and the wealthy in their playgrounds from the fifties to the eighties, living the glamorous life. There are at least 3 to 4 shots of Haiti in there. Let’s get back to that.


When will I see you next? At the fabulous party you are planning for me, hopefully before then though. (Oh by the way, did I mention you were planning a fabulous party for me for the Montreal leg of my Sheila 3.0: 2008 Birthday World Tour?).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martine! You made my day with your "Song of the Week". Hadn't heard it quite some time. Mo'Better, indeed.

IGGY said...

Sheila Gaillard has fashion in her blood ...For my next "vernissage" in Chelsea , guess who is picking my outfit ...

Anonymous said...

Sheila Gaillard, a world class stylist, is a true fashionista. She knows exactly how to turn any woman into a sexy, fashionable and glamourous diva.
Good luck sweetie and see you at our B-day world tour.. ;-)))))) Gbraz

PurpleHazeFashion said...

Sheila G - Fabulous! You make me wanna toss my hair back with the fling of my hand and swing of my neck...then strike a pose with my hands on my hips (while wearing my simply stated black dress,bagette studs and bangin stilettos!!! LOL! Did I mention FABULOUS????

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the interview, it was very much interesting. I especially like the part about "the smile" I definetly can co-sign that answer b/c that is what first attracted me to you!

Inspired said...

...has the ability to see the underlying character clearly and bring out his or her style...

Inspired said...

Sheila has the ability to see one's underlying character clearly and bring out his or her own unique style...

Rachelle Carrié said...

Sheila! Reaching 30 is like an "aha" moment. I lived it, loved it, and did just that! You should go to Italia!!

Anonymous said...

Go Sheila!!... So need your wise advise when its me in my undies, my heels in front of my full closet and nothing to wear!!!
~P..JC

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the interview...the pictures were vivid! I could see her (or myself)in a black dress, stilettos and looking fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hey Martine,

You never cease to amaze me. i just love your questions. Great interview.