Tuesday, March 18, 2008

From My Inner Tomboy

I like Tiger Woods as much as the next person and I appreciate his athletic prowess, his discipline and the fact he can make grown men cry because of his greatness. I don’t like golf but watching him on the greens is like watching Kent Nagano conducting the Montreal Symphonic Orchestra. Pure magic, as he demonstrated again last weekend at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. However, I almost get sick when I hear sports reporters say Tiger Woods is the greatest athlete of all times. TSN (Canada’s Sports Network) actually had the audacity to put together a chart comparing Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Pete Sampras, Wayne Gretzky and other greats. What? Get a grip, people! How can one compare athletes from different sports? I don’t even think it’s fair to compare Michael Jordan to Wilt Chamberlain or Kobe Bryant! Same sport perhaps, but different conditions & different times. Tiger Woods is the best golfer of all time. Fine, let’s give him that. But leave him out of the NBA, the NHL and the NFL. With such expectations from the sports media is it any wonder athletes run to steroids to outperform?

How can you compare this to golf?

2 comments:

Goofy WD said...

C'mon now girl you hating now !
Tiger est assurément un prétendant au titre.

Martine | Le Groupe Milagro said...

I'm not hating on Tiger. On the contrary, I've always supported him. However, let's be fair. However, the comparison with Wayne Gretzky or Pélé is inaccurate and unfair. Apples and oranges.