Sunday, April 12, 2009

Love Spelled Out.



As research for an upcoming project, my friend Nico Fonseca lent me a book called: "Other people’s Love letters", edited by Bill Shapiro. The title says it all. I read it feverishly switching from grins to tears, from regret to envy. The book also brought me back to 1993, when I received the most revealing love letter I had gotten in my young life from a boyfriend who was older and wiser. The letter let out sides of him I had yet to discover: vulnerable, romantic and Molieresque, confirming the power of the format.

Reading "Other people’s Love letters" was also a reminder that in this age of instant delivery of feelings and of immediate XOXOs, the art of courtship through love letters is a lost one.


Here's hoping for a comeback.










No comments: