Saturday, May 8, 2010

Why The Mike Tyson Love Fest Must Stop.


A few months ago, Oprah had Mike Tyson on her show. Sure, it’s her show and she may have whomever she damn pleases on it. Here’s my issue: Mike Tyson is a wifebeater & a rapist & we live in a society where if you’re a guest on a TV show, it’s to be celebrated. And if that appearance coincides with the release of your documentary, you are not only being celebrated, you will eventually be financially rewarded.


Yesterday, on ABC’s The View Whoppi called Mike Tyson “amazingly fantastic”. Huh? Wifebeater? Yes. Rapist? Yes. Amazingly fantastic? I think not.


I cried when I saw the Tyson documentary. He’s a complex person, with a difficult upbringing and who has lived through tough circumstances. That does not, in any way, shape or form excuse his rage against women.


Former NFL player, Laurence Taylor, was very recently arrested for allegedly raping a 15-year old girl. Taylor, who Larry King once called the greatest NFL player of all time (insert eye roll here), denies it and claims the girl was 19 (insert sigh & discust here). Where are all the protestors outside his house or outside the police station or outside the courthouse where he’s to be arraigned? I suggest it should be the same loud-mouths who were protesting with signs and crude slogans against Michael Vick when he was arrested for running a dog-fight ring. I don’t support dog-fighting but I’ll defend a woman over of a dog, any day of any week.


This week, University of Virginia student Yeardley Love was beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend. That’s why the Mike Tyson Love-Fest must stop.



Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

3 comments:

TAMY EMMA PEPIN said...

I salute you my friend. I could not agree with you more. Thanks for speaking up on this issue. You inspire me xox T.

ian said...

Its dubious to link all these incidents together solely based on the fact that they all involve athletes in the first place but then not even mention Steeler QB, Ben Roethlisberger.

Martine | Le Groupe Milagro said...

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your comment. I don't think it's dubious at all. Athletes are celebrated all the time and for what? I've already in the past micro-blogged about Ben Roesthlisberger and how he was treated with white gloves while Kobe was thrown to the wolves when he was basically accused of the same thins years ago. even more disturbing is that it was Roesthlisberger's second accusation. It's tragic really. Separate and inequal ...