Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Blame It On The Veuve Clicquot.




I spent Saturday night celebrating a dear friend, along with a brochette of great guests. Delish conversations oscillated between the disappointing post Earthquake developments in Haïti to the inevitable I-Phone vs. Blackberry debate. Then later in the night, many glasses of champagne later, my friend Adrian asked a simple question: what would I do if I knew I would die in exactly 30 days?  Instead of killing the festive buzz I was on, the depth & simplicity of the question forced me to take stock of my life. Not the life I aspire to have but the one I’m living now. Breath by breath, heartbeat by heartbeat.

Although the chances I ever write a ”how-to” life guide are slimmer than those of me ever going to lunch with Mel Gibson, there are a few things I know for sure about Life which are even truer if you have only 30 days to live:

  • If you haven’t been Loved unconditionally, you need to try again;
  • Life is too short to be with someone you feel so-so about.
  • If you keep on looking at the clock between 9 & 5, quit your job and find something you’re passionate about.
  • Giving is better than receiving perhaps, but you need to go out & get yours.
  • If you count calories while looking at a menu before ordering at a restaurant then you don’t understand that Food & sharing a rich meal are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
  • Ambition is essential, but no one on their death bed has ever said” I should have spent more time at the office”.
  • Sometimes, doing something that scares the living lights out of you, will provide you with best high of your life.
  • If it’s on your chest, say it now.
  • Balance is key. Every hour of work should be met by an hour of play (oh, and you can always sleep more tomorrow).

It’s essential for thirty-somethings to do a life balance-sheet. Young enough to make changes & start over and wise enough to know that what they want and what they need are two different things. Go!

2 comments:

AC said...

Now you are the one to give me a LOT to think about... Your list is right, true and realistic.
Merci!

Anonymous said...

It all comes down to love. Love the one you're with. Love what you do. Love where you live. Love who you are. Easier said than done but that's the Master Plan.